was SCV created?
Sons of Confederate Veterans
was created in 1896 by Confederate veterans concerned that as they
aged and passed on, there should be someone to carry on the memory
of Confederate soldiers and sailors.
To better understand the
benevolent, fraternal and heritage mission of SCV, please read the
charge of Lt. Gen. Stephen Dill Lee, given
to SCV at the 16th Annual Reunion of United Confederate Veterans,
New Orleans LA, April 1906.
is SCV's mission?
activities does SCV participate in?
- We carry a positive and affirmative message
of Confederate heritage to the people of the Old Dominion, the South
and the Nation.
- SCV is non-partisan. We do not endorse
politicians or political parties.
- SCV has a strong heritage preservationist
- Honor and provide care for the graves of
and monuments to the Confederate soldier and seaman as well as
caring for other Confederate sites.
- Display the Confederate flag and other
Southern symbols as a sign of honor to Confederate heritage and
- Attend cultural events and hold parades and
rallies to honor Confederate veterans and keep their courage and
fidelity fresh in the public mind.
- When Confederate heritage comes under attack,
we must necessarily express our opinions in public by honorable
means such as:
- Writing well-stated letters concerning
Confederate heritage to media, elected representatives and
business and community leaders.
- Working with legislators to craft bills
that honor and protect Confederate heritage, monuments, graves,
battlefields and other historical artifacts.
- Working with elected officials to insure
that Confederate heritage receives equal treatment before the law.
How does one join SCV?
- Please click on the "Join
SCV" menu selection at left for more information on how to join
- Membership in the Sons of Confederate
Veterans is open to all male descendants of veterans who served
honorably in the Confederate armed forces.
- Membership can be obtained through either
direct or collateral family lines
- Kinship to a veteran must be documented
- You will need you ancestor's name, unit,
state of service
- You will need information about his
honorable service: discharged, captured, wounded, killed.
- Minimum age for membership is 12.
many members does SCV have? The Virginia Division?
Total membership in the SCV world wide stands
at 33,757 as of August 2005.
The Virginia Division is the second largest
Division in the Confederacy
Georgia Division has 102 active camps with
Virginia Division has 75 active camps with
North Division Carolina has 90 active camps
with 3,924 members
Tennessee Division has 65 active camps with
South Carolina Division has 60 active camps
with 3,412 members
Texas Division has 73 active camps with
Florida Division has 50 active camps with
the Virginia Division organized?
back to top